Monday, June 15, 2009

Trip Report: Halifax Public Gardens

I was able to attend a meteorology conference in Halifax, Nova Scotia during the first week of June.  I had never been to Nova Scotia before and I needed to stay in the city for the week, but I was still able to get in a little sight-seeing.  Along with some historical sights, I visited the Public Gardens, which is a Victorian Garden originally established in 1867.

The gardens are well maintained and well used by locals.  I was surprised by the number of plants and trees in bloom while I was there.  As you can see in the map above, there is a large pond (including ducks) and a couple of smaller water features.  There is also a nice bandstand, which is a common music venue during the Summer.

img_1790_34686773023_o
Maple tree (Acer sp.) in the Halifax Public Gardens
Apparently the gardens were badly damaged in September 2003 by Hurricane Juan.  Many large trees were destroyed.  When I was there, the signs had all been covered over with new growth.

img_1786_34655544304_o
Rhododendron in the Halifax Public Gardens
Some of my favorite plants were the orange Maple trees (pictured above), the rhododendrons (above) and the tulip beds (below).  I also saw a planting of neat Euphorbias, which might have been 'Tiny Tim.'

img_1797_34655528174_o
Wandering Tulip bed at the Halifax Public Gardens

See my photo album by clicking the image below.

Halifax Garden

2 comments:

  1. Great! That's great that you were able to see some of the local plants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice photos, Zach. We have several garden bloggers from up that way...they would probably be able to tell you more about the damage that occured (Nancy@Soliloquy; Jodi@Bloomingwriter; among others). Just a thought in case you want to converse w/them!

    ReplyDelete