Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Never hurts to ask

Last week I posted about all of the plants in my office building, many of which were installed and are maintained by a plant care company.  The ladies were in the office yesterday, grooming the plants and watering them.  I waited until they were finished in our office and then followed them out into the hallway.  I really wanted a cutting of the Philodendron and figured the worst they could say is "no."

I asked politely if they were allowed to share cuttings of the plants, and they lady said "Sure!"  I showed her the Philodendron and she whacked off 4 huge pieces for me.  She commented that it would just make the plant fuller, so she didn't mind at all.

work_cuttings
Philodendron erubescens 'Red Emerald' cuttings from office
I didn't have time to get the cuttings set up in pots last night for rooting, so I just put them in a vase of water.  Christie (my wife) commented that it looks like a really nice bouquet on our table for the time being.  I'll probably pot the cuttings this evening, but maybe I'll do an experiment and see which cuttings root faster - those in dirt or those in water.  I've had pretty good luck with both and these are very healthy Philodendron cuttings.

Mr_subjunctive said that this plant looks like Philodendron 'Red Emerald' and I have to agree.  I think 'Red Emerald' is a cultivar from the erubescens species.  I have a Philodendron erubescens that looks very similar, except for the red coloration.

It's nice to know that people who love growing plants are usually generous to share their success with others who also enjoy plants.

2 comments:

  1. Good on ya, Mate! Your "bouquet" is striking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How nice! The red veins and stems are so striking! You will have to reappear whenever the plant caregivers are in your building---no telling what you will end up with for your plant collection. :-)

    ReplyDelete