Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Gigantic Geranium

My mother-in-law has a knack for growing very large plants.  I should qualify that statement by explaining that she does not grow large plants, but grows plants large.  In other words, plants in her care tend to grow much larger than their "normal" size.

geranium_blooms
Geranium bloom head
One such example is her ordinary Geranium that is about 8 feet tall.  Yes, an ordinary Geranium.

geranium_height
An ordinary Geranium of extraordinary height.
I believe the key ingredient here is lots of light year-round.  This Geranium produced some behavior recently that I had never noticed before.  The blooms were actually pollinated and produced seed pods.  I don't know whether this is common for Geraniums to do in Oklahoma and I have just never paid attention enough to notice, or if this is somewhat rare.  Anyway, I do have some seeds from this mammoth plant that I might try to germinate soon.

geranium_seed_pods
A Geranium flower head with spikes protruding from seed pods.
She also has a corn plant (Dracaena fragrans) which is of unusual height.  It grows in the 2 story foyer to their house and is likely 18 feet tall.  This plant has a good history, including at least one suspected period of death, from which it valiantly arose like a phoenix.  Even recently it went through a spell of poor health, but has been sprouting anew, after the top was lopped off.

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I would like to also see photos of the corn plant. Does she ever fertilize her plants?

    ReplyDelete