Monday, August 30, 2010

Fruiting Peach Tree

Our peach tree was planted in April 2007, as a congratulatory gift when I got my real job after graduation.  It was about 3 feet tall then.  Three years later, it's pushing 15 feet and covered in blooms every spring.  This year we noticed something a little different after the blooms had all been blown away.

young_peaches
Very young peaches on the tree
Our tree is covered in fruit.  Up until this point I had been referring to our tree as a "Flowering Peach" because I thought it was a flowering only variety.  The fruits were growing quickly in the early Summer, but did not get big enough to eat this year.  Now they're beginning to litter the ground and get squished on our driveway.

small_peach
Little more mature peach. They didn't get much larger than this - maybe 2" in diameter.

I'm hoping that next year we might actually have some fruits mature enough to eat.  The hot and dry latter half of the Summer might have contributed to the small fruits, but I don't know very much about that.

Does anyone know if Peach trees (or any other fruiting trees) take some time before producing mature fruits?

1 comment:

  1. Hmm...I am not positive, but I remember growing up with a flowering peach tree which had very small fruits, as well as a flowering crab apple tree with tiny little crab apples. None of the fruit was beneficial, but made a mess on the ground when you mowed.
    The flowering peach tree was outside my south bedroom window. The flowering crab apple tree was toward the back of the yard.
    They are beautiful when they bloom in the spring, though.

    ReplyDelete