Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Project: Homemade orchid basket

I made a couple of orchid baskets out of sticks and wire last year.  Those are cool, but they are not quite as sturdy and permanent as I was wanting.  They tend to come apart pretty easily.  I was looking at some orchid forums online and came across some similar baskets that were constructed a little differently, so I decided to give it a try.

orchid_basket_v2
Completed orchid basket, ready for a plant
First, I needed to get some sticks with a larger diameter and then use my table saw to cut them lengthwise, yielding a smooth edge.  Then I attach these with small nails to upward supports in each corner.  The bottom was a little more improvised, using paint stir sticks.

stanhopea_oculata_in_basket
Stanhopea oculata in new orchid basket
I lined the basket with a coconut fiber liner and then potted a Stanhopea oculata in sphagnum moss.

No comments:

Post a Comment