Thursday, January 26, 2017

Drunkard's Dream in bloom

Sometimes common names can be comical names.  (Sansevieria = Mother-in-law's Tongue?)  There is a little cactus whose stem segments look like tiny bottles connected end-to-end.  If you picture them as beer bottles then you can imagine where the name "Drunkard's Dream" came from.

Hatiora salicornioides
Hatiora salicornioides

I got my plant via a little stem cutting from a roadside rock store we stopped at somewhere in SW Missouri or NE Oklahoma several years ago.  I had seen pictures of the plant online but not seen one in person before.  When I saw it in the store I was exclaiming over it and the shop owner was kind enough to offer me a cutting.  It rooted easily and has grown slowly but steadily in the years since.

Hatiora salicornioides
Hatiora salicornioides

I noticed it blooming for the first time last year in the month of February, and it is doing the same again this year.  The blooms are small and bright yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment