Wednesday, February 7, 2018

Encyclia spikes in January?

This is the time of year when I usually find several Phalaenopsis spiking or blooming in my greenhouse, but little else going on with my orchids. Most of my orchid collection is from the genus Encyclia and those plants typically bloom for me in the heat of the summer. Appallingly, I never have any of my favorite Encyclia in bloom during the annual local orchid show, so if I enter any plants they are just run of the mill Phalaenopsis. Something is different this year.

I don’t know why, but I have 3 Encyclia plants spiking right now, in addition to 2 Phalaenopsis and 1 Dendrobium. Two of the spiking Encyclia will be first earned blooms for me, so perhaps these species typically bloom earlier, but the other spiking Encyclia is one that bloomed last summer for me. It looks like I might actually have some Encyclia to enter in the orchid show this year!

Encyclia angustiloba
Encyclia hanburyi
Encyclia Faerie Glen (diota x mooreana)
Phalaenopsis NOID
Dtps. Jiaho's Pink Girl
Dendrobium anceps

No comments:

Post a Comment