Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Bird's nest Rhaphidophora

If you grow many aroids you may be familiar with the bird's nest Anthuriums, but have you ever heard of a bird's nest Rhaphidophora?

rhaph_bark_pole
Rhaphidophora tetrasperma beginning to climb the bark pole
I set up this tall bark wall for my Rhaphidophora tetrasperma to climb last year. This spring, while my greenhouse door was open, a bird built a nest nestled at the base of the plant.

rhaph_nest
Bird nest in the pot
I'm not really up on my bird identifications, but I have seen two tiny birds in my greenhouse - presumably the parents.  I think they were both pretty plain brown except for their beaks, which were orange.  Can anyone identify the bird from the egg?

rhaph_nest_egg
Unknown bird egg - any ideas?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is wonderful! :) I've had nests in the airplane plants before. Let me know if you find out what type of bird.

    ReplyDelete