Monday, April 4, 2011

Plant Find: Nun's orchid

Christie and I visited one of our favorite local nurseries recently and were surprised to find an orchid mixed in among the usual flower garden plants.  Although this nursery has very good quality plants, they don't have houseplants or generally anything too unusual.

phaius_full
Phaius tankervilliae
The Nun's Orchid or Nun's Cap Orchid (Phaius tankervilliae) is so named because if you look up into the flower tube you will see this (below).

phaius_detail
Phaius tankervilliae
See the nun with her head bowed down in prayer?  It's actually not easy to see in person.  You have to look up into the tube, which is quite long (as you can see in the next picture).  The camera flash really helps illuminate the feature.

phaius_side
Phaius tankervilliae
You might just look up and see this.

phaius_nondetail
Phaius tankervilliae
This is a truly beautiful plant and makes the 2nd giant terrestrial orchid in my collection now.  I haven't had any experience with terrestrial monstrosities like these before, but I'm hoping that they will be happy in my greenhouse, being treated much like my other tropicals.  I guess we'll know this time next year, if they decide to bloom again.

phaius_several
Phaius tankervilliae

3 comments:

  1. That is BEAUTIFUL ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered why they were called nun's orchids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny! I just got a Phaius a little while ago myself. Mine is a hybrid though. I never knew they had this common name, interesting.

    ReplyDelete