Saturday, October 8, 2011

Oeceoclades in bloom

I'm going to interrupt my spree of Florida trip posts (yes, there are more coming) with a quickie of one of my orchids in bloom.

Oeceoclades maculata
Oeceoclades maculata in bloom

This is Oeceoclades maculata, which was given to me by my friend Jude after he traveled to Florida for the IAS show last year.  He said that he found them growing all over the place.  They are not native to Florida, but grow very well in the south Florida climate.

Oeceoclades maculata
Oeceoclades leaf - looking an awful lot like a Sansevieria.

The plant itself looks much like a Sansevieria - dark green leaves with some lighter green mottling.  The leaves also have thick sturdiness of a Sansevieria.  I know the blooms are small, on top of a tall spike, but I think they are really quite cool looking and have some neat colors to them.

Oeceoclades maculata
Oeceoclades maculata bloom close-up

No comments:

Post a Comment