Thursday, June 14, 2012

Plumerias from seed

If you ever visit Hawaii, you will see Plumeria, also known as Frangipani, all over the place.  They are a succulent-like tree that can get to be 20 feet tall or more in a tropical setting.  They will be covered in lightly colored blooms that are used to make the Hawaiian leis.  For the last five years or so, I have been growing a couple of Plumeria from cane cuttings that were purchased in Hawaii as souvenirs.  My largest plant is a single trunk that is about 40 inches tall now.

plumeria_seedlings_large
These Plumeria "yearlings" were started from seed more than a year ago.
Last year Leslie sent me some Plumeria seedlings that she had grown from seed which she ordered from Thailand.  Those plants have been growing steadily (see photo above) and I am anxious to see them bloom.  I have them sitting in full sun and I am keeping them watered on a daily basis.

plumeria_seedlings_small
These Plumeria "weeklings" have just been growing a couple of weeks.
When I met up with Leslie in April, she gave me some more Plumeria seeds that she had ordered from Thailand.  The seeds are similar to the little winged seeds of maple trees.  I stuck the fattest part of the seeds into the soil, with the wings sticking out.  In just a week or two the plants had begun to sprout.  Now I have about 30 little Plumeria to add to the six I got from Leslie last year.  And I still have lots of seeds I need to plant!

plumeria_seedlings_medium
These Plumeria "monthlings" have been growing a little more than a month now.
I am amazed at how easy it is to germinate these seeds and turn them into little plants in such a short period of time.  I will soon have Plumeria growing out my ears.  (On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have stuck those seeds in my ears.)

No comments:

Post a Comment