Friday, June 16, 2017

Cactus and Succulent Show 2017

I have attended the annual show of the Central Oklahoma Cactus and Succulent Society (COCSS) for the last several years.  Although I don't spend a lot of time thinking about these plants or actively collecting them throughout the year, I always enjoy the show and find some really good deals on interesting plants.

Central Oklahoma Cacti and Succulent Show
Some nice plants that received ribbons in the show area.

Matucana madisoniorum
Matucana madisoniorum - the most striking flowers at the show.
I only took a few photos of show and sale plants this year other than the ones I purchased.

Euphorbia neorubella (labeled as Monadenium rubellum)
Euphorbia neorubella
This year I purchased 7 plants: Kalanchoe tomentosa, an unlabeled Huernia species, Huernia keniensis, Caralluma europea, Opuntia violaceaTillandsia tricolor v. melanocrater, and Tillandsia schiedeana.

Kalanchoe tomentosa
Kalanchoe tomentosa

Huernia sp., Huernia keniensis, and Caralluma europea
Huernia sp., Huernia keniensis, and Caralluma europea

Huernia sp
The unidentified Huernia
Tillandsias aren't truly cacti or succulents, but the term "succulents" is already rather broad and is not taxonomically linked, like "cacti" is to the family Cactaceae.  I guess cacti and succulent people just like Tillandsias and brought some to sell.  I'm excited because one of them is on the verge of blooming.

Tillandsia schiedeana and Tillandsia tricolor v. melanocrater
Tillandsia schiedeana and Tillandsia tricolor v. melanocrater
As I've mentioned before, my favorite succulents are the Stapeliads.  I have found that I can grow them pretty well, so I try to focus my money on those plants.  With my recent purchases my Stapeliad collection now includes 10 species:
  • Caralluma europea
  • Huernia sp (unknown species)
  • Huernia confusa
  • Huernia keniensis
  • Huernia penzigii
  • Huernia schneideriana
  • Stapelia ambigua
  • Stapelia flavopurpurea
  • Stapelia gigantea
  • Stapelia hirsuta
I've had some others in the past, but have lost some over the years.

Huernia penzigii
A recent bloom on my Huernia penzigii
A friend from northwest Arkansas came over for the show. I met him and his wife there and we exchanged a few plants and visited for a short time.  He brought me a neat Sinningia tubiflora, which was bred for hardiness in our region, as well as Kalanchoe beauverdii and Bryophyllum fedtschenkoi. Hopefully the Sinningia will flower for me soon and I'll share some photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment