Friday, March 2, 2012

Dendrobium anceps in bloom

This plant is admittedly not one that people call “beautiful.” It is an oddity that I admired when visiting Lowell’s greenhouse last August. When I inquired about the name, he graciously offered me some pieces of it and brought them to our next Oklahoma Orchid Society meeting. The plant is Dendrobium anceps, anceps meaning “double-edged.”

d_anceps_full
Dendrobium anceps
It is planted in a net pot with coconut husk chips. The plant hasn’t looked great over the last 5 months and I wasn’t sure that I was giving it the care that it desired. However, I noticed recently that it was covered in buds. And I mean covered! It is even blooming on the leaves that look burnt and dead.

d_anceps_detail01
Dendrobium anceps buds

d_anceps_detail02
Dendrobium anceps bud - such an interesting shape
The buds peak out from the overlapping leaves and look really neat before they open. Once they open, they have that signature look of many Dendrobium.

d_anceps_detail03
Dendrobium anceps blooms

d_anceps_detail04
Dendrobium anceps blooms

No comments:

Post a Comment