Monday, March 12, 2012

Hardy aroids emerging

Last year I was brave and planted some aroids outside in the brick path garden.  Now they are starting to break through the soil surface and enjoy these unseasonably warm days we’ve been having.

a_probo_201203
Arisarum proboscideum - Mouse Tail Plant
If you look closely, you’ll notice in the picture above there are two different blooms (mice) on my little clump of Arisarum.  You will also notice there are lots of little red brick shards and clumps of gray mortar.  This plant is growing in the garden around the greenhouse and when the greenhouse was bricked a couple of months ago, the area really got trampled.  Some of the plants that we put in last year are probably gone now, but several are coming up and looking really nice.  I was especially happy to see these little “Mouse Tails.”

z_aethiopica
Zantedeschia aethiopica - first leaf
The Zantedeschia aethiopica is not much to look at right now – just a single leaf.  I don’t expect it to bloom this year, but if it does, I will be very happy – and you can expect an update!  Jason gave me this plant last year.

No comments:

Post a Comment