Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A time for orchid growth

Many orchids bloom in the spring and subsequently start new growth.  This year my orchid collection grew quite a bit.  Some of the orchids I purchased while they were in bloom or just after they finished blooming.  It will be almost a year before I get to see if they will bloom for me.  In the meantime, there is a good sign in that many of my orchids are producing new growth.

bepi_new_growth
Bepi 'Femme Fatale.'  New growth can be seen coming from the base on the left side.
I'm still holding out hope that the Bepi above will bloom for me.  The bloom spike is still present, just emerging from the center of the plant, but it is doing so ever so slowly.

blc_new_growth
Blc 'Golden Tang.'  The bright green is new growth.
Most of my new orchids are sympodial, which means that they produce offshoots, rather than continuing on the original growth.  Above you can see a tall, new "lead" growing from the side of my Blc 'Golden Tang.' This is a Cattleya hybrid, more so that any of my other orchids, these hybrids really enjoy the heat.  They are growing like crazy right now.

polystachya_new_growth
Polystachya paniculata new growth
One of my Ethiopian orchids, Polystachya paniculata, has a small offset that has been present since I bought the plant.  Now it is starting new growth from the original and tall stem.  I don't know if this is normal for this plant or not.  But it seems to be happy, so that makes me happy.

dend_new_growth
Dendrobium atroviolaceum new growth
I'm also holding out some hope that my Dendrobium atroviolaceum will bloom for me.  There is one large bud that has been on the plant since I received it over a month ago.  It still hasn't opened for me.  There are also several bloom spikes that are starting to emerge from the top of a couple of the stems, but they aren't really doing anything lately.  It might be the heat.  The good news is that there are 4 or 5 new growths starting from the base of the plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment