Friday, July 15, 2011

Garden toad

Over the last week I have had several sightings of one of the biggest amphibians I have seen I have seen in our yard. Actually, we don't really see amphibians around our house - maybe once or twice. This one is big!

garden_toad
Our garden toad - possibly Bufo woodhousii
He is sitting in a 4" pot, to give you an idea of his size. Maybe he is a fan of Asparagus and is waiting for the plant to arise from the soil, since it has been promised by the plant tag. I don't know how to break it to him that the tag is marking an Asparagus macowanii (fern), which is not edible.

2 comments:

  1. How fun! Was he singing: "It's Not Easy Being Green?" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to keep B. woodhousii as pets when I was a kid. I love finding toads; it reminds me of my childhood. And they're just fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete