Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Daylilies blooming at the chapel

My wife's family owns a wedding chapel just outside of town.  For the past couple of years Christie and I have helped maintain the flowerbeds and do other projects.  This year we've handed the job over to some other relatives who wanted a side job, but when we were there recently I got to see some of the fruits of our labor.


chapel_pink
Hemerocallis 'Always Afternoon'
The Daylilies we planted a couple of years ago are all in bloom.  It is nice to see some splashes of color on an otherwise green palette of grasses and other drought-hardy plants.

chapel_peach
Peach daylilies

There are several of these peach-colored daylilies and they are also the most prolific bloomers of the bunch.

chapel_magenta
Hemerocallis 'Irving Hepner'
I don't recall all the varieties that we ordered, but they are all doing really well, spreading and blooming more each year.  I'm wondering if any of these will naturally cross-pollinate.  Does anyone know?

1 comment:

  1. Hemerocallis will cross quite easily as long as the parents are members of the same ploidity, namely diploid and tetraploid. They are so easy to hybridize anyone can do it which may account for the roughly 60,000 registered cultivars. Once I get my new gardens going my daylily collection will be relocated and I will start to breed them again. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete