Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Greenhouse update - Phase 1: Masonry

This weekend we got down to business on the greenhouse construction.  I spent a couple of hours on Saturday gathering supplies.  I made a trip to Lowe's to get two truck fulls worth of  lumber and cinder blocks.  I honestly won't need the lumber for a little while, but I wanted to make best use of the 10% coupon I had.  I also purchased the mortar mix, rebar pins and anchor bolts that will be used in the construction of the walls.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="450" caption="Mortar mix, anchor bolts and rebar pins"]Mortar mix, anchor bolts and rebar pins[/caption]

The 60 cinder blocks were loaded into the truck with a forklift, but since I don't have my own at home, they had to be unloaded by hand...  That's a lot of blocks.

On Sunday, we got to work.  (Although Saturday wasn't exactly sitting on our butts!)  Christie and I carefully chalked the perimeter of the greenhouse.  Then I laid the first bed of mortar and carefully placed the first block.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="420" caption="Laying the mortar bed for the first block"]Laying the mortar bed for the first block[/caption]

The first couple of blocks were frustrating and tedious.  But a couple of blocks later and we were cruising.  I had some help from Christie and her dad and we were able to complete much more than I had expected!

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="460" caption="Christie and her dad laying block"]Christie and her dad laying block[/caption]

After we were finished laying block for the day, Christie meticulously cleaned the tools and the work area, making sure that all of the mortar lines looked clean and filled.

[caption id="" align="aligncenter" width="460" caption="Finish of the first day"]Finish of the first day[/caption]

See other phases of the project here:

1 comment:

  1. Zach, I admire people who do such projects themselves. Good luck to you and a lot of patience!

    ReplyDelete