Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Greenhouse update - Phase 4: Framing

After a couple of weeks of inactivity, we began framing on Sunday.  In fact, we did more than begin!  My father-in-law has framing experience from building several houses, 1 wedding chapel and a number of other projects.  He has been a huge help.  In fact, he's pretty much been doing the framing while I hand him the tools. :)  But I'm learning.

attaching_first_wall
Bolting down the first wall
Even with several snags along the way, all of the walls were erected in a mere 5 hours.  That included a couple of breaks to go and get supplies and to partake of refreshments and dinner.

rafters
End rafters added and long wall studs being placed.
The end rafters were also mounted.  At the end of the day, I couldn't help but bring out one of my new shelving units and sit a couple of plants on it in the greenhouse.  I just wanted to get a feel for how much space the shelves would take up in the greenhouse.  It's very exciting.

framed_day1
End of the first day, with all walls framed. Notice my nice shelf with a couple of future residents checking out their new home.
I'm sure that the finishing touches will take a while, but I am very encouraged to see how quickly it has gone up so far.  Soon we will be placing the door and adding the polycarbonate.  Stay tuned!

See other phases of the project here:

6 comments:

  1. How exciting. I'd have the shelves and plants in there also. Look forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there, it ia looking really good. I built my greenhouse in 2003 and I know for sure that you are enjoying it too.

    Tyra

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck on the greenhouse. It looks like you have a great start. Found you on blotanical. Didn't realize how many other Oklahoma bloggers were out there.~~Dee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look at those happy plants! I think they're ALMOST as excited as you are about the new greenhouse!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you'll have a view of the the greenhouse from that one window. Is that your kitchen? Will it be air conditioned in any way?
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the encouraging comments, everyone!

    In response to Aiyana's questions:
    No, it's not our kitchen window; it's our laundry room window. However, the kitchen window is nearby and you can see the greenhouse from there.
    The greenhouse will be heated in the winter and will have a fan for the summer whenever it gets hot in there. I will wait to install the fan until next spring, since I don't need it now.

    ReplyDelete