Friday, June 30, 2017

More Sansevieria blooms

I don't have many Sansevieria in my collection. For some reason this was a banner year for the plants that I do have. I think I just have five plants and three of them have bloomed! I already wrote about one blooming in February. Then at the end of May I noticed that another of my Sansevieria was blooming. This one was purchased from Lowe's (I think) with a generic "Sansevieria" tag on it, so it is unlikely that it is a species. The flowers smell like ripe bananas.

Sansevieria
unlabeled Sansevieria

Sansevieria
unlabeled Sansevieria
At the same time I was pulling down that plant to take some photos of the flowers I realized that another of my Sansevieria was spiking. This last one was a plant I purchased at the Oklahoma Cacti and Succulent show last year, Sansevieria kirkii.

Sansevieria kirkii
Sansevieria kirkii

Sansevieria kirkii
Sansevieria kirkii
This species has incredibly thick and sturdy leaves. They could just about be used in a sword fight and stand up to the beating of a metal blade.

Sansevieria kirkii
Sansevieria kirkii flowers

No comments:

Post a Comment