Saturday, September 12, 2020

Seedling of Anthurium lezamae

I've really neglected this blog. I'm going to try to start posting more regularly once again.

Several years ago I visited the Missouri Botanical Gardens and got to tour the living collection of Aroids. I was given permission to collect some berries from a plant marked Anthurium lezamae. This plant was collected by Dewey Fisk from Chiapas, Mexico.


I successfully germinated one of the seeds and my plant has been slowly growing. This summer I repotted it and have been giving it a little extra attention and it has been doing really well. Now it has it's first inflorescence (that I have noticed).



I'm not certain that my plant is the species Anthurium lezamae, and it differs from the parent plant. That could be because my plant is still young, or it could be because the berries were produced from a cross with another plant, making mine a hybrid. Maybe with time I'll be able to tell.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment